The small town of Fredericksburg, Texas, is known for many things, such as its rich German heritage and wineries, but what truly distinguishes it is how pet-friendly Fredericksburg can be for visitors. You will find pet owners strolling down Main Street with their little Fido, exploring boutique shops, or enjoying refreshments in one of the many pet-friendly restaurants.
We’re sure you don’t want to leave your pets at home, so we prepared this guide to show you all the pet-friendly Fredericksburg extensive attractions, restaurants, and Cozi vacation rentals ready to welcome your furry friends. We will also provide you with some safety and health tips to ensure you and your four-legged friend have a memorable and enjoyable visit during your visit.
Exploring Pet-Friendly Attractions
Walking Down Historic Main Street
Walking down the historic Main Street in downtown Fredericksburg will showcase some amazing boutique shops, many of which are pet-friendly! You will find water bowls outside many shops for your pet to refresh.
An amazing shop you can’t miss is Dogologie; it has an extensive amount of products for dogs of all sizes, including treats, outfits, and costumes to dress them up, and even car accessories to make road trips easier.
Fredericksburg Dog Park
Address: Lady Bird Dr, Fredericksburg, TX
The Fredericksburg Dog Park is an establishment within the Lady Bird Johnson Municipal Park, and it offers an array of amenities, including abundant shade, access to water, plenty of seating, and ample space for dogs to romp, play, socialize, and explore.
The park is divided into two separate areas; one caters to small dogs (weighing under 25 pounds) and their larger counterparts (over 25 pounds). You can also walk the one-mile trail along Live Oak Creek.
To ensure a safe and pleasant experience for all pets and pet owners, it’s important to note that dogs should remain attended to and within sight at all times. Additionally, dogs must be leashed outside the park’s designated fenced areas.
You will also need proof of current vaccination records to visit the park, and please be aware that dogs under four months of age are not permitted within the premises.
Enchanted Rock State Natural Area
Address: 16710 Ranch Rd. 965, Fredericksburg, TX
Enchanted Rock is a special and natural wonder near Fredericksburg, TX, and has even been recognized as an International Dark Sky Park, making it perfect for stargazing. You can also hike this natural area with your pet, as they are permitted on the Loop Trail.
Make sure you bring the essentials for your pet, including a leash, poop bags, portable water, and water bowl, and on hot days, protect your pet’s paws using dog booties.
Texas Hill Country: Friendly Wineries
Many of our guests love to visit the nearby wineries of Fredericksburg, and we’re happy to say that many will welcome your four-legged friend, including the following:
- Kalasi Cellars: They will welcome your well-behaved and best pet while you enjoy the wine in their outdoor seating. Just ensure you keep your distance from Dalai, the resident Ilama.
- Pontotoc Vineyard: Located in a cottage on Main Street, the Weingarten (wine garden) will welcome you and your pets.
- Texas Wine Collective: Perfect location for wine tasting and bringing your pet! You get to enjoy vine from three Texas wineries, including McPherson Cellars, Lost Oak Wineries, and Brennan Vineyards, while your pet receives dog treats and fresh water bowls.
Address: 100 Legacy Dr, Fredericksburg, TX
Wildseed Farms is the largest working wildflower farm where you can enjoy its 200-acre farm and vineyard with your pet. There’s so much to do from walking the trails, enjoying wine in the tasting room, grabbing a beer at their Brewbonnet Biergarten, and getting some seeds to take home as a souvenir.
Dining with Your Furry Friend
Pet-friendly Restaurants and Cafes
There are many pet-friendly restaurants and cafes in Fredericksburg, so you will want to bring your pet with you each time it is eating time. Here are our recommendations and their location:
- Hondo’s on Main: 312 W Main St, Fredericksburg, TX
- West End Pizza Co.: 207 E San Antonio St, Fredericksburg, TX
- Pecan Grove Store: 5244 N State Hwy 16, Fredericksburg, TX
- Alamo Springs Cafe: 107 Alamo Rd, Fredericksburg, TX
- Woerner’s Warehouse: 407 E Live Oak St, Fredericksburg, TX
- Tubby’s: 318 E Austin St, Fredericksburg, TX
- Munch Food Park: 303 E Hwy St, Fredericksburg, TX
Local Dog-Friendly Breweries
One of the best breweries you can visit during your visit to Fredericksburg is the Alstadt Brewery. The building’s architecture was German-inspired, and you can explore the grassy areas surrounding the Tractor Museum with your pets. Unfortunately, dogs are not permitted in other areas of the brewery.
Preparing for Your Trip
Pet-friendly Accommodations and Packing Essentials
We are happy to announce that our Cozi vacation rentals have an extensive list of pet-friendly properties in many of the Texas Hill Country towns, including Fredericksburg, Wimberley, Kerrville, and San Marcos. All you need is to pack the essentials for your furry friend to ensure you will have everything you need. To help you ease this process, we recommend packing the following:
- Food and Water: Bring enough food to last for the duration of your trip as well as portable water and water bowls to keep your pet hydrated.
- Grooming supplies and documentation: Make sure your pet has updated ID tags that include your contact information. Proof of vaccination and any necessary health certificates that may be required.
- First aid supplies and medications: A basic first aid kit for your pet would be essential in case they suffer minor injuries and any medications your pet may be taking.
- Sunscreen for dogs: Yes, they will need it to combat the Texas sun!
- Leash, collar, and doggie bags: Bring their favorite leash and collar, and don’t forget to clean up after your pet.
- Bedding and crate: It will make it easier for your pets to adapt to the new properties where you will be staying.
- Toys and entertainment: Pets love to have fun, too, so bring their favorite toys or chew bones. It will also provide them with some extra comfort.
Safety and Health Tips
During your visit, there might come a time when you may required to take your pet to the local veterinary clinic. We recommend the Gillespie Veterinary Center as they also have 24-hour emergency care in case something happens outside of normal business hours.
Remember to keep your pet hydrated and cool, especially during the hot Texas summer heat, and protect their paws with booties or paw wax, perfect to serve as a barrier against hot surfaces. Lastly, don’t forget to pack your proof of vaccination in case you need it during a vet visit or for entrance at some of the attractions.
Stay and Enjoy Your Stay with Your Pet
With so many pet-friendly properties at our Cozi Vacation Rentals, you and your pet will find some of the best guesthouses and pet-friendly lodging ready to welcome you for the ‘pawfect’ getaway in Fredericksburg.
Feel free to contact us if you need assistance finding the perfect space or have questions about booking. Have a great stay!